Lester J. Gauthier
Areas Of Practice
- Federal Criminal Law
- Drug Charges
- Louisiana Criminal Law
- Administrative Hearings
- Louisiana, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1979
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1976
- University of Southwestern Louisiana, Lafayette, Louisiana
- B.A. - 1970
- "Directed Verdicts in Louisiana Jury Trials A Noble Purpose?" Louisiana Bar Journal, Vol. 30, No. 6, April, 1983
- "Selection: An Emerging Doctrine in the Uninsured Motorist Area or a One-Time Proposition," Louisiana Bar Journal, Vol. 31, No. 3, October, 1983
- "Camille Gravel: An Icon in the Louisiana Criminal Justice System and in Louisiana Politics," Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, The Advocate, Winter, 2006, www.lacdl.org
- United States v. William Bruce Hare, No. 88-60018-44, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette, La. Three month long multi-defendant criminal trial in which the defendant was found not guilty.
- United States v. Ho Van Duong, No. 01-20022-01, , Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette, La. Federal criminal prosecution for aggravated battery. Defendant found not guilty.
- United States v. Gerald Robinson, No. 02-60021-02 , Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette, La. Federal prosecution for distribution of controlled substances. Defendant found not guilty.
- United States v. M. Salman Farooq Qureshi, No. 04-60057-01,, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette, Louisiana. Federal criminal prosecution of the defendant for making false statements in connection with a terrorism-related investigation. A favorable plea agreement was negotiated. Counsel represented the defendant during extensive sentencing hearings.
- State of Louisiana v. Terry Touchet, No. CR-6927, , 31st Judicial District Court, Parish of Jefferson Davis. This case was first reported jury verdict under the Louisiana Racketeering statute. The defendant was found guilty. The conviction was reversed on appeal by different counsel at 759 So. 2d 194, 3rd Cir., 2000.
- Edna Walsworth v. Dr. Teresita Gonzales, PCF No. 93-1009, Medical malpractice action before a medical review panel, settled prior to trial for over $500,000.
- United States v. MJP, No. 2:12CR0108, , Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette, Louisiana. Federal criminal prosecution of the defendant for making a false statement in an attempt to purchase a firearm. Not guilty verdict rendered in one day jury trial.
- State of Louisiana v. KH, Nos. C-120242 & C-120243, , Jeanerette City Court. State prosecution for two counts of Simple Battery upon students. Not guilty verdicts.
Honors and Awards
- "Order of the Living Legends, the Acadiana Museum" - http://www.acadianmuseum.com/legends.php?viewID=196
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisiana Criminal Defense Lawyers Association